Make 2, 7 inch cakes or 1, 9 inch cake
2T unsalted butter, room temp
2T canola oil
1/2 c sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp almond extract (optional)
2 eggs, room temp
1 1/4 c a.p. flour
1 tsp baking powder
2T jam or lemon curd
1 stick (4oz) unsalted butter, room temp
1 c powdered sugar, sifted
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
pinch of salt
Special Equipment - 2, 7 inch disposable aluminum tins OR 1, 9 inch cake pan
- Pre heat the oven to 350°
- In a large bowl add in the butter, oil, sugar, salt, vanilla, and almond extract. Using a hand mixer or whisk, beat for 3 minutes.
- Next, add in the both eggs and beat for another 3 minutes.
- Add in the flour and baking powder. Beat on low until batter comes together. Increase the speed to high and beat for 30 more seconds.
- Pour in the buttermilk and beat on low until the milk is fully incorporated.
- Spray cake tins/cake pan with canola oil, divide the batter equally into the cake tins.
- In a circular motion, drop in the jam on top of the batter. Using a butterknife, gently swirl the jam into the batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
For The Buttercream
- In a large bowl add in all ingredients. With a hand mixer, beat until smooth and fully incorporated. Optional - Add food coloring to the buttercream
-Divide the buttercream equally on top of both cakes and smooth into an even layer.
- Garnish with candy, fresh fruit, cookies, chopped nuts, flowers, etc...
- Place the lid on top and refrigerate. Remove from refrigerator 20 minutes before you are ready to eat.
C.L.T.'s (Chef Lovely Tips)
- If you don't have buttermilk, use the same amount of whole milk instead and stir in 2 tsp of fresh lemon juice. Give it a stir and let it sit for about 5 minutes before you add it into the batter.
- Have fun with flavoring the buttercream and try adding in ingredients like citrus zest, instant coffee, jam, melted chocolate, crushed oreo's, chopped nuts, shredded coconut, rose water, etc...
- Make sure all of your dairy ingredients (butter, eggs, milk) are at room temperature. Take them out and set them on the counter for at least 2 hours before you start cooking.
- Sift your powdered sugar to ensure a smooth buttercream
- Don't forget to have fun! This recipe is easy and versatile.
- Edible flowers add a special touch but if you can find any, use flowers from the floral section of the grocery store. Just be sure to wrap the steam with tape before you insert/place them on the cake and do not eat them.
Love you, my loves! I hope you enjoy. Happy Mother's Day 💝